Monday, April 13, 2009

Jesus' Dirty Hands

Today before I went on my lunch break, I washed my hands. Every time I wash my hands at work, I'm amazed at how much dirt comes off of them! I work in an office, yes. But everyday when the mail comes in, I sort dozens and dozens of envelopes. I also work closely with a few printers, so I'm always touching paper hot of the press. Today when I was in the bathroom (don't worry, it's safe to keep reading) washing my hands and watching the dark drips of water run into the drain, a thought occurred to me. I bet Jesus' hands were dirty. During his years of ministry, He was constantly touching people, all kinds of people. Rich people, sick people, dirty people, poor people, clean people, sad people. Jesus touched them all. He even used mud and spit to perform a miracle at one point. Jesus definitely wasn't the type to have a disciple squirting antibacterial on his hands every 30 seconds while visiting towns. It seems like he really didn't care how dirty the people were, He still touched them. I imagine that when the little children ran to him they were probably super sweaty from running around, but I don't really think that Jesus even thought twice about giving them a hug and pat on the head. I was lost in the thought that although He was perfect, without spot or blemish, He didn't care that his hands were dirty from those He touched.

This final thought came to me while I was getting one more pump of soap. I hope that my hands will always be dirty from doing God's work. I always want to have dirty hands, not because I want to people to know everything big and small that I do for God, but because I want to be like Jesus. I bet his hands were dirty.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

I thought about this on the night I was saved. I clearly and distinctly remember I was praying and asking Jesus if He would touch me. I was so tearful and humbled by a presence I was unfamiliar with. As I begged for forgiveness I remember saying, "Jesus you even touched lepers, so please will you touch me?" I did not know enough to ask Jesus to save me but I did know I had a desperate, suffocating thirst for forgiveness and a cleansing of not just my soul but my entire being. I wanted to be saturated with the presence I felt in that church, I had an unbelieveable sudden and unexplainable desire to be filled with Jesus, to be touched by the same hands that had touched so many other sinners. I know today that Jesus hands are dirty because He touched me.

A and A said...

What a great comment. Thanks for sharing.- Cheli